Saturday, August 4, 2007

I am a Technical genius.

It always amazes me how dumb some people can be about technology and computers. And they work with them every day. I could forgive you if you never really touched one, but if you work with a computer and printer on a daily basis, some things should be obvious.

Like when the print quality sucks. The first thing you should do is pull out the toner cartridge to see if something is obviously wrong, right? Nope. What you do is call technical support and hold the phone while listening to the muzac version of "Innagoddavida" for 45 minutes.

I came in for my shift once to the above scenario. So, I pull out the print cartridge. Voila! A label has somehow peeled off the paper and stuck to the cartridge. I peel said label off, do a test print....and it WORKS! Problem solved.

Of course that means the above individual has to go back to work instead of just standing there.....

Then there is the "I can't read the doctor's signature" dodge. Often there is a phone number or licence number. If it is a licence number, then the answer is easy, go to the college of physicians and surgeons website, go to their search engine, type in the number and the doctor's name magically appears. The phone number thing means you actually have to pick up the phone and call the number, but even if it is after hours there is almost always a machine that says "You have reached Dr. Idont Workweekends if you have a medical emergency please go to the nearest emergency room. Please note you need an appointment for prescription renewals...bla bla bla". This means that you still can get the doctor's name from the message.

I often fax in a copy of the prescription to the doctors office when I need clarification of something. Even if it is after hours. Many times there is still someone in the office clearing up paperwork even though they are not answering the phone. And they call me back with the answer even though it is technically after hours. This way I can finish the prescription and not have it hanging over my head until the next business day.

Even if they don't give me an answer right away because there really IS no-one there, it is STILL not hanging over my head. The question has been communicated, now I just have to wait.

Now that is how one uses ones technical know-how to get the job done.

No comments: